(This opportunity is open to youth between the ages of 15 and 30 as part of a government-funded grant program. Applicants must meet ALL of the criteria listed in the Youth Eligibility section below to be considered)
Are you naturally creative, have strong writing skills, an eye for design, are good with computers, technology and have an interest in the field of digital marketing? We are searching for a social media superhero (cape and mask not required) to work closely with our CEO and Business Marketing Manager (BMM) as our Digital Marketing Assistant!
We aren’t looking for an expert (although experts are welcome to apply) but we need someone with lots of enthusiasm, high creativity (both for ideas and design), a bit of a tech-nerd with a huge aptitude for learning software quickly, who is willing to work hard and have fun while doing it! This is a great opportunity for a youth wanting to pursue a career in Digital Media or Online Marketing.
A little about us:
Virtual Job Search Coach was founded in 2008 by Stacey Davidson (CEO). You can check out our website at www.virtualjobsearchcoach.com for all the details and learn everything you wanted to know about the CEO and BMM on the about us page. In short, we provide Employment Coaching to all levels of Job Seekers globally as well as recruitment and outplacement services to Okanagan-based businesses. We are on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram and have a YouTube channel so feel free to check us out!
Here’s a taste of the kinds of things you can be doing on any given day:
- Designing social media posts as part of our annual social media calendar (we provide the tools and guidance, you bring your creativity and artistic eye!)
- Draft digital marketing posts from video scripts (do you like emojis? We do too!)
- Scheduling posts on multiple social media channels (ex. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Researching information and drafting blogs, articles, social media and/or newsletters
- Assisting the CEO and BMM with creating and editing online marketing videos.
- Creating and editing digital, animated and cartoon videos with cool software (this is fun stuff!)
- Assisting with designing lead magnet materials and other digital materials (woohoo! creativity time!)
- Assisting with designing and implementing Facebook, LinkedIn and Google ads campaigns
- Perform market trends research to help with online content strategies (it’s fun nerdy research stuff!)
- Setting up email campaigns and working with Mailchimp software
- Building landing pages (woohoo! more creativity!)
- Help with setup of website back-links (don’t worry if you don’t know what this is, our CEO doesn’t either – you can learn together!)
- Perform keyword, hashtag and trends research and create lists (it’s way more fun than it sounds!)
- Assist with setup and launching of automated webinars
- Perform data entry as required (sounds boring right?… don’t worry, we’ll keep it to a minimum!)
- Research new digital software programs as requested and make recommendations (we might be old dogs but we are open to learning new tricks!)
- Monitor social media analytics and help the CEO identify and determine which online strategies are working most effectively for the business (you get to be the Sherlock Holmes of data!)
Skills & Qualifications
- If you have some formal course training or education in social media, digital marketing or related skills – fantastic! However we also value self-taught skills and experience.
- Very good writing skills will be considered a huge asset!
- Some experience with video editing and design software is ideal.
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and how to create posts.
- The ability to juggle….. (multiple priorities and tasks) is very important.
- Familiarity with software for Desktop Publishing, Graphic and/or Video Design and online marketing is an asset – Here are some of the ones we use: Doodly, PresenterMedia, Picmonkey, Canva, Crello, FilmoraX, Google Docs, MS Powerpoint, MS Word, Mailchimp, Photo editing software, WordPress, Zoom.
Wage & Term:
This is a 4 month, full-time internship. This role pays $17-20/hr (based on skills & experience). The position is available to start ASAP.
This will be a remote work from home position. We work out of our home and don’t operate under traditional business hours so we are able to offer some flexibility with the working hours.
We are very serious about the quality of our work, our business ethics, our reputation and the services we offer but we also believe life is too short not to love what we do so in case you haven’t guessed it – we like to have a little fun and a sense of humour too! So if this opportunity sounds like a good fit for you then we definitely want to hear from you!
YOUTH ELIGIBILITY: (these requirements are dictated by the Government of Canada, Innovate BC – Digital Skills For Youth Program and are non-negotiable)
To participate in the Digital Skills for Youth Program, a Youth Intern must:
- Be between the ages of 15 and 30, inclusive, at the start of the internship
- Be a post-secondary graduate (i.e. has completed a diploma or degree following secondary education),
- Not be in receipt of EI during the course of the work placement,
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada (i.e. Canadian citizen, permanent Resident or person who has been granted refugee status), and
- Self-assess as underemployed, meaning they are employed below their level of education and/or hold part-time employment, or are unemployed.
Youth who self-identify as women, Indigenous (First Nations, Inuit and Métis), member of an official language minority community, new immigrant, refugee, a person with a disability, a visible minority or LGBTQ2S+ or who live in a rural or remote location, will be given special consideration.
How to Apply:
We are less interested in your resume and more interested in WHY we should hire you! We encourage you to submit a resume…. but what we really want to see is a LETTER (or video) explaining Why You Are The Best Person For This Job! Tell us a little about yourself – things like: your talents, describe your software and technical skills, your education, what your goals are, your dream job, what you do in your spare time, your favourite colour……this is your chance to show us how creative you are!
If you have a social media channel, blog, website, artwork or samples of your graphic or writing skills you’d like to share with us – we’d love to see them!
To apply, please EMAIL Stacey Davidson at [email protected] ideally before Thursday, December 31st, 2020. We get over 100 emails per day so please put “SUPERHERO” in your email subject line so you stand out. J
We are excited to hear from you!