(This opportunity is open to youth between the ages of 15 and 30 as part of a government grant program.)
Are you naturally creative, have strong writing skills, an eye for design, are good with computers, technology and have an interest in the field of online marketing? We are searching for a social media superhero (cape and mask not required) to work closely with our CEO and Business Development Manager (BDM) as our Digital Media Marketing Assistant this summer!
Click here (opens in new tab/window) to watch a short video about this oppurtunity.
We aren’t looking for an expert (although experts are welcome to apply) but we need someone with lots of enthusiasm, high creativity (both for ideas and design), a bit of a tech-nerd with a huge aptitude for learning software quickly, who is willing to work hard and have fun while doing it! This is a great opportunity for a youth wanting to pursue a career in Digital Media or Online Marketing.
A little about us:
Virtual Job Search Coach was founded in 2008 by Stacey Davidson (CEO). You can check out our website at www.virtualjobsearchcoach.com for all the details and learn everything you wanted to know about the CEO and BDM on the about us page. In short, we provide Employment Coaching to all levels of Job Seekers globally as well as recruitment and outplacement services to Okanagan-based businesses. We are also on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn and Instagram so feel free to check us out!
Here’s a taste of the kinds of things you can be doing on any given day:
- Assisting the CEO and BDM with conducting and filming video interviews and online marketing videos including the setup and operation of recording equipment and lighting (and hey if you are open to starring in any of our videos – we are cool with that!)
- Creating and editing online animated and cartoon videos with cool software (this is fun stuff!)
- Scheduling posts on multiple social media channels (ex. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
- Researching information and drafting blogs, articles, social media and/or newsletters
- Designing social media posts as part of our annual social media calendar (we provide the tools and guidance, you bring your creativity and artistic eye!)
- Assisting with designing lead magnet materials and other digital materials (woohoo! creativity time!)
- Help with setup of website back-links (don’t worry if you don’t know what this is, our CEO doesn’t either – you can learn together!)
- Building website landing pages (woohoo! more creativity!)
- Setting up email campaigns and working with Mailchimp and ActiveCampaign software
- Assisting with implementing Facebook and Google ads campaigns
- Perform keyword, hashtag and trends research and create lists (it’s way more fun than it sounds!)
- Assist with setup and launching of automated webinars
- Perform data entry as required (sounds boring right?… we’ll keep it to a minimum!)
- Research new digital software programs as requested and make recommendations (we might be old dogs but we are open to learning new tricks!)
- Monitor social media analytics and help the CEO identify and determine which online strategies are working most effectively for the business (you get to be the Sherlock Holmes of data!)
Skills & Qualifications
- If you have some formal course training or education in social media, digital marketing or related skills – fantastic! However we also value self-taught skills and experience.
- Some experience with video editing and design software is ideal.
- Good knowledge of social media platforms and how to create posts.
- Very good writing skills will be considered a huge asset.
- The ability to juggle….. (multiple priorities and tasks) is very important.
- Familiarity with software for Desktop Publishing, Graphic and/or Video Design and online marketing is an asset – Here are some of the ones we use: Doodly, PresenterMedia, Canva, Crello, VegasPro17, Google Docs, MS Powerpoint, MS Word, Mailchimp, ActiveCampaign, Clickfunnels, Photo editing software
Wage & Term:
This role pays $16/hr and will be 30 hours per week. The length of term is based on grant approval but we anticipate approximately 12 weeks starting in mid or late May (start date is negotiable). We also hope to offer continued employment on a reduced part-time basis after the grant term is completed.
We work out of our home and don’t operate under traditional business hours so we are able to offer some flexibility with the working hours. Once trained, if you are someone who is capable of working independently at home (not everyone is cut out for it), we are open to the possibility of you working from home 2 to 3 days a week.
We are very serious about the quality of our work, our business ethics, our reputation and the services we offer but we also believe life is too short not to love what we do so in case you haven’t guessed it – we like to have a little fun and a sense of humour too! So if this opportunity sounds like a good fit for you then we definitely want to hear from you!
How to Apply:
We are less interested in your resume and more interested in WHY we should hire you! You’re welcome to submit a resume…. but what we really want to see is a LETTER explaining Why You Are The Best Person For This Job! Tell us a little about yourself – things like: your talents, describe your software and technical skills, what your goals are, your dream job, what you do in your spare time, your favourite colour……this is your chance to show us how creative you are! If you have a social media channel, blog, website, artwork or samples of your graphic or writing skills you’d like to share with us – we’d love to see them! To apply, please EMAIL Stacey Davidson at [email protected] before Friday, April 24th (DEADLINE EXTENDED from the 10th). We get over 100 emails a day so please put “SUPERHERO” in your email subject line so you stand out. ☺
This opportunity is open to everyone between the ages of 15 and 30 (this is a stipulation of the grant). We support the hiring of underrepresented groups including new immigrants/refugees, Indigenous, visible minorities/racialized youth, LGBTQ2 youth, youth with limited or no previous work experience and persons with physical disabilities.
What youth participants are eligible
To be eligible, youth must:
- be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
- have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations
*The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
**International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible. As the objective of the Canada Summer Jobs program is to support youth entering the Canadian labour market, the temporary nature of an international student’s time in Canada does not allow for a long-term connection to the labour market.