Join Our Team as the Programs Coordinator at Allan Brooks Nature Center!
Are you passionate about connecting people with the wonders of nature? Do you have a knack for designing engaging and interactive learning experiences? If so, we have the perfect opportunity for you!
Allan Brooks Nature Center (ABNC) is seeking a dynamic, creative and enthusiastic Programs Coordinator to join our team to play a vital role in our mission to inspire environmental stewardship and foster a deep appreciation for the natural world, and help us connect visitors of all ages to the unique and diverse natural history of the Okanagan region.
About Us: At ABNC, our mission is to increase public awareness, appreciation and stewardship of nature by providing firsthand opportunities to see and learn of the Okanagan’s unique and diverse natural history, educational programs and displays, and showcasing its natural areas and features, as well as the heritage of the person Allan C. Brooks. To learn more about Allan Brooks Nature Centre, visit ABNC website: www.abnc.ca
As the Programs Coordinator, you will be the driving force behind our educational initiatives and interactive learning programs. You’ll have the unique opportunity to design, implement and oversee diverse and engaging programs that cater to audiences of all ages. Whether it’s leading guided hikes through scenic trails, hosting interactive environmental and nature-based workshops, or collaborating with schools to bring hands-on learning experiences to students, you’ll be instrumental in creating memorable moments that resonate with our visitors for a lifetime.
Role and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Centre Manager, this role involves planning, coordination, implementation and execution of various year-round public learning programs, school educational programming, workshops, on and off-site events, centre exhibits and attractions, as well as guided and self-guided tours designed to foster an understanding and appreciation for local ecosystems, wildlife, and conservation efforts.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and implementing engaging learning programs suitable for various age groups.
- Collaborating with the ABNC team to create an annual calendar of nature-related programs, workshops, and events.
- Utilize your creativity to develop new captivating interpretive displays, exhibits, projects, and activities that align with ABNC’s mission.
- Establishing and nurturing partnerships with local schools, community groups, and organizations to foster meaningful connections and expand our outreach.
- Conducting informative and interactive guided tours, talks, and events to promote environmental awareness.
- Incorporate British Columbia Ministry of Education curriculum in the development, design and delivery of school programs.
- Develop and provide cost proposals to create new displays, features and educational amenities for committee review and recommendation.
- Manage bookings, confirmations, facilitation of school education programs, camps, group tours and ABNC party programs (ie. birthdays, weddings) and schedule staff as required.
- Continuously assess and refine programs based on participant feedback and emerging educational trends.
- Conduct research to stay current with trends in environmental education, interpretive techniques, and conservation and stewardship practices to enhance the quality of programs.
- Work with the Centre Manager to develop program budgets, track expenditures, and ensure cost-effective operations, as well as plan annual programming staff needs, modify job descriptions, hire program staff, and summer student placements.
- Collaborate with Communications Coordinator on marketing and promotion strategies for programs, to attract participants for school programs, summer camps, and public programs and events.
- Supervising, training, scheduling, and overseeing daily work performance of seasonal program staff and volunteers.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Environmental Science, Education, or a related field.
- Proven experience in creative program development within a nature center, science center, museum, or similar educational setting.
- Strong interpersonal skills, confident in public speaking with the ability to connect with diverse audiences.
- A passion for environmental education, conservation, and inspiring curiosity about nature.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple programs simultaneously.
- Proficiency in MS Office, Google Workspace, and willingness to learn new tools.
- Collaborative team player and leader with ability to supervisor a small team, coach, mentor and train seasonal program staff.
- Ability to make sound judgments and respond actively as the leader of visitor and volunteer groups including children, seniors and special needs groups.
- Familiarity with social media and marketing is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Okanagan’s natural environment is desirable.
- First aid and CPR certification or willingness to obtain upon hiring.
- Comfortable working both indoors and outdoors in various weather conditions.
The position requires candidates to:
- have a valid BC Driver’s License and reliable transportation
- obtain OFA Level 1
- provide a Criminal Records Check
Why Join ABNC:
- Be part of a dedicated team working towards a noble mission.
- Make a significant impact by fostering environmental awareness and a sense of stewardship in your community.
- Develop and implement innovative educational programs.
- Work in a dynamic, supportive and collaborative environment that values innovation and creativity.
- Enjoy the stunning natural landscapes of the North Okanagan and be inspired every day.
- Opportunity for personal and professional growth.
Join us in this rewarding journey and be a part of something greater than yourself!
In this role, you will have the opportunity to make a real impact on our organization and our community. You will work with a dedicated team of professionals who are committed to our mission and share your passion for making a difference.
If you are creative, organized, and enthusiastic with a love for nature and education and are ready to inspire, educate and make a lasting impact on individuals’ connection to nature in the Okanagan, we invite you to apply for the Programs Coordinator position at Allan Brooks Nature Center. Help us inspire the next generation of nature enthusiasts and make a meaningful impact on our community!
This is NOT a remote position. There is some flexibility around working hours but the employee is required to work on site 90% of the time.
The detailed job description, compensation details, working hours and required qualifications can be found here: 👉 https://www.virtualjobsearchcoach.com/find-a-job/
Please email your resume AND COVER LETTER ‘stating why you would be an ideal fit for this role’ to the attention of Stacey Davidson, ABNC Board Director of HR at: [email protected].
Please state “Programs Coordinator” in your email subject line.
This position will remain open until the ideal candidate is found. We look forward to welcoming a dedicated Programs Coordinator to our ABNC family!
Thank you in advance for your interest – we will do our best to reply to all applicants; however, in the event of a high number of applications only short-listed candidates will be contacted.